From 2000 through 2014, there were 25,397 calls to poison control about overdoses of vitamin D (Figure). There were about 200 calls/year in the year 2000, which has increased to more than 4,000 calls per year recently. During that 15-year period there were only three serious cases of vitamin D toxicity, but no deaths.Do you know how many people died from Tylenol toxicity during that same time? About three thousand.Of the five serious medical cases involving vitamin D, two were from aspiration problems in infants when vitamin D drops went down the windpipe. The three serious adult cases were: 1) 55-year old male, chronic ingestion causing agitation, confusion, electrolyte abnormalities, renal failure and seizures; 2) 78-year-old male, chronic ingestion causing lethargy, electrolyte abnormalities, renal failure and respiratory depression; and 3) 53-year-old female with chronic ingestion causing elevated creatinine, renal failure, electrolyte abnormality and hypertension. Doses taken were not given.As far as suicide attempts, 106 people tried using overdoses of vitamin D to kill themselves, though none succeeded.
Wednesday, November 18, 2015
How Toxic is Vitamin D in High Doses?
I have been otherwise involved and not blogging lately even though I've looked at tons of research. So today let me just remind you that Vitamin D shows up over and over as correlated with preventing so many diseases (including flu) that it's too big a list to include. It includes pretty much everything. Getting tested is simple. Your doctor will order a test if you ask. They know Vitamin D deficiency is widespread. That, of course begs the question of why they do not routinely order the test. Follow the money. There is no profit in Vitamin D supplementation. If you do not have a doctor, the Vitamin D Council offers a self test for $50.
How much Vitamin D to take? Let me just report my own experience. It took me about six months to raise my levels from 33 to 43 taking 10,000 iu a day. The next increase did not take quite so long. So when you are severely deficient, taking a lot of Vitamin D is a vey good idea.
All the hype about how dangerous too much can be, needs to be put into perspective. Here is an excerpt from an article on the website of the Vitamin D Council.
Link to the whole article is found here: https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/blog/how-common-is-vitamin-d-toxicity/